It’s fitting that March is National Nutrition month, meaning Spring is here and Summer is upon us. March is a great time to take a step back and look at your eating habits, exercise, and overall health. Making a few small changes can have a large impact on your overall health.
A diet overhaul usually results in failure. Taking small, manageable steps to improve your diet can make a big difference. Here are a few steps in the right direction that everyone can take:
- Water, water, water. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Substitute sugar filled beverages for water.
- Replace refined breads and pastas made from white flour with ones made from whole grains.
- Cook more meals at home. This is an easy way to shift away from processed foods to whole grain and natural protects which can also potentially save you money.
- Use mustard on sandwiches instead of mayo.
- Use spinach leaves instead of iceberg lettuce in salads.
- Order coffee drinks with skim milk instead of whole – and skip the whip.
These small changes will have a big impact in your diet!
Remember if you are overweight or obese, you have a greater risk of developing many diseases including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer. At East Northport Medical Care we have a great resource for our patients, Pam Bonney, MS, RD, CDN schedule your appointment with her now and to find more nutrition help check out her website triedandtruenutrition.com
East Northport Medical Care is available to provide the best medical services in Suffolk County. From Primary Care, Urgent Care, Cosmetic Services, Physical Therapy, and Nutrition Services, to get the best treatment available, call (631) 368-9166.