If you suffer from seasonal allergies, the first sign of spring doesn’t have you running to your door to frolic in the flowers. It is more likely that you will be running your nearest drug store to stock up on allergy medication to take care of the sniffling, sneezing, and fogginess associated with allergies. Luckily, there are some things you can do to prevent allergies from completely taking over your spring.
- Track the allergens- The National Allergy Bureau’s website puts up a daily ranking of allergens. If you see something on the top of the list that you are sensitive to, stay indoors!
- Warm wash your sheets- It is extremely important that you wash your sheets weekly at a high temperature to kill any dust mites or allergens you may have brought into the house.
- Rinse nightly- You should start taking showers, especially washing your hair at night. Pollen can get trapped in your hair during the day so it is important to get it out.
- Take some vitamins- Taking a healthy dose of Vitamin C and Vitamin E can decrease the circulation of free radicals that increase when your allergies are acting up.
- Relax- Like most diseases or infections the symptoms can worsen when you are under increased stress. Allergies are no different! It is important to find times in your day to meditate or do anything that relaxes you to bring yourself to a non-stressful place. This is good for you mental and physical health.
- Antihistamines- There are a plethora of over-the-counter antihistamines to choose from. You have many options to see which one works best for you. Talk to your primary care doctor as they will be able to give you insight on which could work best for you.
You shouldn’t be stuck inside all spring waiting for your allergies to calm down. You should be able to enjoy your spring outside with your friends and family. Try some of these tips and see if they work for you!
East Northport Medical Care is available to provide the best medical services in Suffolk County. From Primary Care, Urgent Care, Cosmetic Services, Physical Therapy, and Nutrition Services, to get the best treatment available, call (631) 368-9166.