An ear cleaning is a simple, safe, and painless procedure used to remove excess wax from the ear canal. The ear canal is the tube that connects the outer ear to the inner ear. Tiny glands produce wax in the skin of the ear canal. It helps to protect the ear from dirt, dust, and other foreign bodies. Over time, wax can build up and block the ear canal, causing hearing loss, pain, or irritation. An ear cleaning can help to remove this excess wax and improve hearing. The team here at East Northport Medical Care, a primary care doctor near kings park, provides ear cleanings. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
When You Have An Ear Cleaning
There are a few things you can expect. First, the doctor or nurse will likely use a lighted instrument to look in your ear. This is called an otoscope. They do this to evaluate the severity of the wax build-up and ensure there is no damage to the ear canal. Next, they will use a small curved instrument called a cerumen spoon or curette to remove the wax gently. The spoon is carefully inserted into the ear canal and used to scoop out the wax. You may feel some pressure or fullness in your ear during this process, but it should not be painful.
The final step in ear cleaning is irrigation. This involves using a gentle stream of water or saline solution (saltwater) to wash away any remaining wax. The doctor or nurse will use a syringe or bulb to squirt the solution into your ear canal. You may feel some discomfort during this step, but it should not be painful.
5 Things To Expect During An Ear Cleaning
- The doctor or nurse will use a cotton swab to clean any wax visible in your ear.
- They may also use a curved tool called a curette to remove any deeper wax in your ear canal.
- The doctor or nurse will use a suction device to remove any remaining wax and debris from your ear.
- Finally, the doctor or nurse will rinse your ear with warm water to remove any soap or other cleansing solution used during the procedure.
- After your ear has been cleaned, you should be able to hear better and have less ear pain or irritation. If you have any concerns or questions about your ear cleaning, ask your doctor or nurse.
Benefits Of An Ear Cleaning With A Primary Care Doctor Near Kings Park
An ear cleaning can provide relief from the pain and fullness caused by excess wax in the ear canal. It can also improve hearing by removing the wax blocking the ear canal. In some cases, an ear cleaning may also help prevent ear canal infections. Schedule an appointment today with our primary care doctor near kings park for an ear cleaning appointment today!
Are There Any Risks Associated With An Ear Cleaning?
Ear cleanings are generally safe and well-tolerated procedures. However, a few potential risks should be considered before having an ear cleaning. These risks include:
- Injury to the ear canal: The ear canal is a sensitive area, and it is possible to injure it if the cerumen spoon or curette is inserted too deeply into the ear canal.
- Infection: There is a small risk of infection associated with any procedure that involves breaking the skin, such as an ear cleaning.
- Allergic reaction: Some people may be allergic to the solutions used for irrigation. If you have any concerns about allergies, be sure to discuss them with your doctor or nurse before having an ear cleaning.
What Should I Expect After An Ear Cleaning?
After your ear has been cleaned, you should feel relief from any pain or fullness caused by the wax build-up. You may also notice that your hearing is improved. If you have any questions or concerns about your ear cleaning, ask your doctor or nurse.
Contact Our Primary Care Doctor Near Kings Park
An ear cleaning is a simple and safe procedure that can relieve pain, fullness, and hearing loss caused by excess wax in the ear canal. It is important to discuss any concerns you may have with your doctor or nurse before having an ear cleaning. After the procedure, you should feel relieved of any symptoms and notice an improvement in your hearing. The team here at East Northport Medical Care, a primary care doctor near kings park, provides ear cleanings. Contact us today to learn more about our services.