Welcome To Our Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY At East Northport Medical Care
East Northport Medical Care, a Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY which is located in East Northport, NY, is the longest standing primary care practice in this area. Dr. Amir Herman and Nurse Practitioner Margarita Panich are dedicated to the field of primary care. Our philosophy is based upon providing top quality medical care, and warm, friendly service to our patients.
At ENMC, our practitioners have extensive experience in preventative medicine, occupational medicine, urgent care medicine, and geriatric medicine. We care for patients in their teenage years, through adulthood, and into their senior years. In fact, many of our senior population were patients at this practice over 50 years ago!
Visit Our Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY
We believe that communication with our patients is of the utmost importance, and we pride ourselves on being very accessible to our patients. Our staff is friendly and welcoming, and no patients are turned away for a sick visit on the day that they call. We also will see our patients on a walk-in basis if they have an urgent medical need. We offer a wide range of services to our patient population. The scope of our practice evolves constantly, and the services that we offer are expanding regularly.
In order to help you maintain your health and prevent illness and injuries, we offer preventative care services. We pride ourselves on facilitating healthy lifestyle modification, such as weight loss through healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Our registered dietician Christine Herkommer, MS RD CPT is an excellent resource at East Northport Medical Care, and our patients respond well to her recommendations.
East Northport Medical care is open Monday through Friday, and we accept most insurance plans. Our mission is to provide you with the medical care that you need at the necessary time in order to have you on your way to a healthy recovery as soon as possible.
- Blood Drawing
- Electrocardiograms (EKG)
- Pulmonary function testing (PFT)
- Carotid Dopplers
- Abdominal Aorta Dopplers
- Lower Extremity Arterial Dopplers
- PVR/ABI studies (leg circulation)
- Holter Monitors
- 24 hour blood pressure monitoring devices
- Home sleep studies
- Ear irrigation to remove impacted wax
- Biopsies of skin lesions
- Skin tag removal
- Botox cosmetic
- Obesity Medicine Counseling
Visit Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY
Tips To Get Your Family Ready For Back To School
It’s that time of year again; back to school! With that, comes preparing your family with back-to-school necessities. It’s important to ensure that your family’s health is optimal for this school year. You want your family to be in the best position to succeed this school year, and that can’t be done without yearly wellness checks. If you want to see your family thrive academically this year then it’s essential to ensure everyone’s health is strong so they’re prepared for the education ahead. Looking for a Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY? East Northport Medical Care has you and your family covered for the wonderful year ahead! Our doctors are experts in patient care and comfort, and we promise your family the healthy school year you desire.
Health Tips for Back-to-School Readiness
There are so many reasons for you and your family to receive their yearly check-up in preparation for the school year. However, getting your family the care they need before the school year isn’t exactly a stress-free task. That’s why we took it upon ourselves at East Northport Medical Care to ensure a stress-free and peaceful environment for you and your family. Talk to your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY for more information on the advantages of yearly wellness checks and preparing your family for the school year. However, here are some of the many reasons for getting your family’s health ready for the amazing year ahead:
Covid-19 has taken a toll on our family, especially on our children’s education. Students learn better in the classroom, get more time to be social, and have the school experience they deserve. That’s why following Covid safety recommendations and getting checked up before the school year is essential. Each year we must make sure our families stay Covid-free to ensure a healthy and happy school year for everyone.
- Yearly Physical
A yearly physical is not only imperative to get your child back in school. Yet, it is important to monitor your child’s development to guarantee that they are growing in the healthiest way possible. To read more about the importance of a physical, click the link here.
Age-appropriate vaccinations are required in New York State, and you can receive them at your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY. East Northport Medical Care provides families with all of the age-required vaccinations they need to ensure their child is healthy. It’s also important your child is vaccinated against Covid-19 to ensure your family stays Covid-free throughout the school year! Click the link for more information on the Covid-19 Vaccination.
- Flu Shot
With the school year starting also comes the beginning of flu season. Flu season can start as early as October, and it’s important to prepare your family. The flu can be a very dangerous illness if contracted and is also very contagious. That’s why it’s important to be preventative and keep your family in the best position possible to succeed this year.
Getting enough sleep is essential during the school year, not only for your child but also for yourself. Getting the right amount of sleep leads to better focus, learning, and a better school year.
- Vision and Hearing
Noticing a vision or hearing problem early on is very important to your family’s education. Having good vision and good hearing is necessary for optimal learning.
Monitoring your child’s nutrition can be a difficult task on your own. However, with the help of your professional Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY, we can help make your job easier. Checking for nutritional deficiencies is so important to a child’s education. Meeting all of your child’s nutritional needs can not only assist in their well-being but will also help them focus and become better students!
Back-to-School with your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY
Deciding to ensure your family’s health isn’t a difficult decision. However, choosing where is difficult and imperative to your family’s experience. We make it easy at East Northport Medical Care, providing your family with the best experience possible. Finding your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY, shouldn’t be hard. That’s why we’re here to help! We promise not only to provide you with top-quality care but also that your family leaves our facility with a smile on their face.
Back to school can sometimes be stressful and medical care can be a key factor in that stress, but our doctors are here to give you a worry-free and stress-free experience. We pride ourselves on our expertise and our caring environment. You won’t have to worry anymore with East Northport Medical Care here to help. If you want to learn more about preparing you and your family for the school year ahead, contact us or visit our website.
How To Improve Vision and Maintain Eye Health
Whether you wear corrective lenses or think your eyes are in perfect condition, you should take steps to improve your eye health. Your eyes are a massive part of how you go about your everyday life, and they may be more sensitive than you think. Setting aside time to adjust your daily routine to account for eye healthcare is well worth it! At East Northport Medical Care, our primary care doctor in Smithtown NY is here to evaluate your eyes and help you create a plan that best suits you at our East Northport office! Take care of how you see the world!
Caring for Your Eye Health
While having your eyes tested by your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY is a key component of taking care of your vision; a lot more goes into it. Here are some techniques for improving your vision and maintaining your eye health:
- Using sun protection
- Anytime you are in the sunlight, it is important to protect your eyes. Choosing sunglasses that offer 99 to 100 percent UVA and UVB blocking is ideal. Adding a hat with a wide brim can also improve your protection.
- Taking on the sun without protection could lead to the development of macular degeneration, cataracts, and pterygium, which may blur your vision.
- Using other protective eyewear
- When playing sports, dealing with construction, or managing chemicals, wearing proper eyewear is essential. Protective goggles provide an extra barrier between your eyes and chemicals, sharp materials, and more.
- Opting for a high-quality pair of goggles makes a big difference. The polycarbonate material of many of these goggles is much stronger and safer than other plastic.
- The 20-20-20 rule
- For those who spend their work day in front of a computer, giving your eyes a break can help reduce strain. This technique includes taking 20 seconds to look at an object 20 feet away from you once every 20 minutes.
- Adjusting your diet
- Incorporating healthy foods with beneficial nutrients is an easy step towards increased eye health. These nutrients include:
- Zinc and Vitamins A, C, and E – help prevent macular degeneration; can be found in vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, and citrus
- Omega-3 fatty acids – improve eye health; can be found in salmon and flaxseed
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – carotenoids of the retina; improve eyesight; can be found in broccoli, eggs, and zucchini
- Incorporating healthy foods with beneficial nutrients is an easy step towards increased eye health. These nutrients include:
- Hand hygiene
- The eyes are very sensitive to germs. Touching or rubbing your eyes with dirty hands could lead to infection or irritation, which may worsen your vision. Even putting in contact lenses with dirty hands can cause this.
- Contact lens hygiene
- As for the contact lenses, you must only insert disinfected ones into your eyes. It is also important to change your lenses as instructed. Using the same pair of lenses for too long can lead to the accumulation of germs.
- Do not smoke
- It is important to understand that when smoking is bad for your whole body, your eyes are a part of that. Smoking increases the risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts.
- If you already smoke, stop as soon as possible. The longer you go without smoking once quitting, the better your body will be.
- Staying fit and healthy can improve overall health and decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Those with the condition may develop diabetic retinopathy, in which vision is impacted, and the eye’s blood vessels are damaged.
- Managing eye conditions
- Whether they be in your family’s medical history or dealt with by you, letting your doctor know about relevant conditions is important. They can help you manage or prevent any that could impact your vision.
Consulting a Doctor
Before trying something new for your eyes or if you are unsure about continuing a current practice, always consult your Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY. Professionals in the field of eye health are the best resources for information. It is especially important to visit them if you experience any pain or irritation in your eye. Given the sensitive nature of the eyes, a medical professional is more reliable than any home remedy.
East Northport Medical Care’s Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY For Eye Care
For the best eye care, always visit a medical professional. Our primary care doctor in Smithtown NY, at our East Northport office is here to support your eye health and guide you along your path to improved vision. No matter your starting point, East Northport Medical Care will help you shift your lifestyle to reach healthier eyes. To book an appointment, contact our office today!
Stress and Your Body
Are you looking for a Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY? East Northport Medical Care is the longest-standing primary care practice in the area. At East Northport Medical Care, Dr. Amir Herman and Nurse Practioner Margarita Panich provide quality medical care and warm, friendly services to all their patients. East Northport Medical Care takes care of patients from their teens through adulthood and into their senior years. ENMC encourages all its patients to uphold a healthy lifestyle by implementing healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Continue reading below to learn more about stress and its effect on the body.
What is Stress?
Although, stress is the feeling of being overwhelmed or unable to cope with mental or emotional pressure. If you cannot manage your stress or get it under control, it can begin to affect your health.
Stress & Cortisol
However, when you are stressed your body will produce and release cortisol which will get pumped throughout your entire body. Cortisol is the hormone responsible for the body’s “fight or flight” response. Cortisol is often called the stress hormone. The release of cortisol into the bloodstream increases heart rate and blood pressure. The more stressed you are, the higher your cortisol levels will be. High levels of cortisol can be very dangerous and increase your risk of many health problems like anxiety and depression.
How Does Stress Affect The Body?
Stress affects three important aspects of your life, your body, mood, and behavior. Stress’s effect on your body may manifest as headache, muscle tension or pain, chest pain, fatigue, change in sex drive, or stomach upset. Stress can affect your mood and result in anxiety, restlessness, lack of motivation or focus, irritability or anger, feeling overwhelmed, and sadness or depression. Stress can also affect your behavior, resulting in overeating or undereating, angry outbursts, drug or alcohol abuse, tobacco use, less exercise, and social withdrawal. If you are experiencing any of the body, mood, or behavior symptoms of stress you should seek help and contact a doctor immediately to determine a treatment plan to help get your stress under control.
Facts About Stress
- 43% of all adults suffer negative health effects from stress
- 75%-90% of all doctor’s office visits are for stress-related ailments
Common Causes of Stress:
- The death of a loved one
- Loss of a job
- Financial obligations
- Family obligations
- Chronic illness or injury
- Emotional problems
How To Manage Stress
- Exercise regularly
- Get the proper amount of sleep each night
- Spend time with loved ones like family and friends
- Maintain a strong support system
- Make time for hobbies like reading a good book
- Implement relaxation techniques into your daily life like meditation and yoga
Supplements To Help Manage Stress
- Rhodiola Rosea
- CBD oil
Smartphones & Stress
Studies have shown that our bodies may be experiencing a stress reaction linked to the notifications and overuse of our smartphones. A steady stream of notifications from your smartphone can activate your body’s stress activation system. When this system is activated cortisol is released because our body feels we need to respond to a threat. Still, in this case, the threat is the influx of notifications and overload of information from various social platforms. This conditions our body to always act and feel as if it is on high alert when checking our phone.
This never-ending stream of information from a smartphone keeps our bodies on high alert and can be very draining. If you care about reducing your stress levels, you should consider stepping away from your smartphone and monitoring how often you check or use the device. Apple makes that easy by providing you with your daily and weekly screen times. It would be best if you aimed to decrease your screen time daily little by little until it is at a level that doesn’t impact your health.
Contact Our Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY
If you believe you are experiencing unhealthy levels of stress or chronic stress and are looking for a Primary Care Doctor in Elwood, NY, contact East Northport Medical Care today. The medical team at ENMC will help develop a custom-tailored treatment plan to reduce and manage your stress.