Welcome To Our Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY At East Northport Medical Care
East Northport Medical Care, a Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY which is located in East Northport, NY, is the longest standing primary care practice in this area. Dr. Amir Herman and Nurse Practitioner Margarita Panich are dedicated to the field of primary care. Our philosophy is based upon providing top quality medical care, and warm, friendly service to our patients.
At ENMC, our practitioners have extensive experience in preventative medicine, occupational medicine, urgent care medicine, and geriatric medicine. We care for patients in their teenage years, through adulthood, and into their senior years. In fact, many of our senior population were patients at this practice over 50 years ago!
Visit Our Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY
We believe that communication with our patients is of the utmost importance, and we pride ourselves on being very accessible to our patients. Our staff is friendly and welcoming, and no patients are turned away for a sick visit on the day that they call. We also will see our patients on a walk-in basis if they have an urgent medical need. We offer a wide range of services to our patient population. The scope of our practice evolves constantly, and the services that we offer are expanding regularly.
In order to help you maintain your health and prevent illness and injuries, we offer preventative care services. We pride ourselves on facilitating healthy lifestyle modification, such as weight loss through healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Our registered dietician Christine Herkommer, MS RD CPT is an excellent resource at East Northport Medical Care, and our patients respond well to her recommendations.
East Northport Medical care is open Monday through Friday, and we accept most insurance plans. Our mission is to provide you with the medical care that you need at the necessary time in order to have you on your way to a healthy recovery as soon as possible.
- Blood Drawing
- Electrocardiograms (EKG)
- Pulmonary function testing (PFT)
- Carotid Dopplers
- Abdominal Aorta Dopplers
- Lower Extremity Arterial Dopplers
- PVR/ABI studies (leg circulation)
- Holter Monitors
- 24 hour blood pressure monitoring devices
- Home sleep studies
- Ear irrigation to remove impacted wax
- Biopsies of skin lesions
- Skin tag removal
- Botox cosmetic
- Obesity Medicine Counseling
A primary care doctor Smithtown states that making sure your hands are clean is one of the most important ways to prevent illnesses caused by the transfer of germs. Bacteria and viruses are everywhere and unless you live in complete isolation you are exposed to hundreds of germs every day. Make sure you are staying healthy!
You would be surprised as to how many people do not wash their hands after coming in contact with hundreds of germs during an act, such as using the bathroom. According to studies, only about 77% of men and 93% of women wash their hands after using a public restroom.
Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY
According to the Food and Drug Administration, it is recommended that hand sanitizers are not used to replace soap and water, but are only used as an adjunct. Research has even shown that plain soaps are just as effective, if not more effective than antibacterial soaps when reducing bacteria related illnesses. It is even proven that antibacterial soaps can increase bacterial resistance to antibiotics.
Even though it is recommended that you wash your hands whenever possible, there are some tips on when it is best to sanitize your hands as opposed to washing them. A primary care doctor Smithtown NY states it is important that you wash your hands when you can actually see the dirt or any substance on your hands. After sneezing or coughing, after using the bathroom, after contact with bodily fluids, and before preparing food are all times necessary to wash hands. It is okay to use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol when your hands are not visibly soiled, before and after contact with a sick person and after coughing or sneezing.
Contact A Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY
It is sometimes difficult to find somewhere to wash your hands, so it is always a good idea to carry some hand sanitizer with you to help to prevent the transfer of germs to you or to anyone around you. If you are feeling sick from germs that have been transferred to you contact a primary care doctor Smithtown NY.
It isn’t a secret that a healthy blood pressure is a key to maintaining optimal health. Having an elevated blood pressure results in an increased load on the heart’s muscle, which means that the heart has to work even harder to pump the blood throughout your body. This may not seem significant, however, it will eventually have negative consequences on your body. Your primary care doctor Smithtown NY should always check your blood pressure at any office visit. A “normal” blood pressure is approximately 120/80.
Tips For Reducing Blood Pressure From A Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY
Regular cardiovascular exercise such as running/cycling/walking/swimming, etc., will help to reduce high blood pressure and maintain a healthy blood pressure by strengthening your heart’s muscles. As the cardiac muscle’s function improves, it requires less effort to pump and circulate your blood. Therefore, if you have high blood pressure, you should start exercising regularly to decrease your overall blood pressure. This, in turn, will improve multiple facets of your life. Your exercise capacity will improve, your energy levels will increase, and even your sexual function can be helped!
Dietary modification is an additional tool to use in order to improve your blood pressure. A reduction of sodium in your diet, reduction in alcohol intake, and smoking cessation are simple ways to adjust your lifestyle to improve your blood pressure. Stress reduction should also be optimized to reduce blood pressure.
Importance Of Maintaining A Healthy Blood Pressure
Maintaining a healthy blood pressure is very important to overall health. If you already have another medical condition, high blood pressure can only contribute to the overall worsening of those other conditions. A primary care doctor Smithtown NY stated that is is a good idea for blood pressure to be checked and monitored in your home, as there are some excellent quality home monitoring machines on the market. Most importantly, make sure you make an appointment with your primary care physician for an annual physical to ensure that your blood pressure is properly monitored. For an appointment with Dr Herman at East Northport Medical Care, call 631-368-9166.
So many people suffer from that “2 O’clock tired feeling.” However, there are many people who are tired all the time. The most obvious reason on why you’re tired is because of lack of sleep. Not getting at least eight hours of sleep is going to play a huge role on how your next day pans out. Although sleep plays a crucial role in your life, there are many other underlying factors most people don’t know about that can make you both mentally and physically tired.
Why Are You Tired From A Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY
When you skip a workout because you are too tired, think again. A primary care doctor Smithtown NY states that exercising does the exact opposite of making you more tired. Numerous studies show that regular exercise boosts your strength and endurance. Exercising delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues, which in turn, gives you energy. So next time you decide to be a couch potato, at least go on a brisk walk and you’ll see how much energy you’ll gain from this small task.
Everyone knows you’re supposed to have eight glasses of water a day, but do all of us really do that? Drinking lots of water a day helps keep you energized and awake. Even being slightly dehydrated can make your heart beat less efficiently because dehydration causes your blood to be denser. This stalls the oxygen and nutrients from reaching all ends of your body; therefore, causing you to be tired.
Consuming iron allows you to be more focused, alert and awake. You can tell if you’re not consuming enough iron if you are feeling sluggish, weak or irritable. Foods like eggs, vegetables, nuts and peanut butter contain iron which will help give you more energy. As per a primary care doctor Smithtown NY-It is also extremely important to eat breakfast. Most people skip breakfast, which makes them tired much faster. As we all know and heard since we were little, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Cut out your fast food intake as well and you will see a huge difference in your daily life. Most fast food contains a lot of sugar which increases your blood sugar levels dramatically. A spike of your blood sugar levels will leave you feeling sluggish for the rest of the day.
Tips For Proper Rest
A few more little tips include no alcohol intake right before bed. People think that having a glass of wine before bed will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep; however, it creates a rebound effect that produces adrenaline in your system. This is why you’re more likely to wake up in the middle of the night after a night of drinking. Another tip is to stay off your phone at bedtime. The light your phones and tablets give off throw off your body’s natural rhythm by producing melatonin and in response does not allow you to fall asleep. Contact us today for any questions!
How To Improve Vision and Maintain Eye Health
Whether you wear corrective lenses or think your eyes are in perfect condition, you should take steps to improve your eye health. Your eyes are a massive part of how you go about your everyday life, and they may be more sensitive than you think. Setting aside time to adjust your daily routine to account for eye healthcare is well worth it! At East Northport Medical Care, our primary care doctor Smithtown NY is here to evaluate your eyes and help you create a plan that best suits you at our East Northport office! Take care of how you see the world!
Caring for Your Eye Health
While having your eyes tested by your primary care doctor Smithtown NY is a key component of taking care of your vision; a lot more goes into it. Here are some techniques for improving your vision and maintaining your eye health:
- Using sun protection
- Anytime you are in the sunlight, it is important to protect your eyes. Choosing sunglasses that offer 99 to 100 percent UVA and UVB blocking is ideal. Adding a hat with a wide brim can also improve your protection.
- Taking on the sun without protection could lead to the development of macular degeneration, cataracts, and pterygium, which may blur your vision.
- Using other protective eyewear
- When playing sports, dealing with construction, or managing chemicals, wearing proper eyewear is essential. Protective goggles provide an extra barrier between your eyes and chemicals, sharp materials, and more.
- Opting for a high-quality pair of goggles makes a big difference. The polycarbonate material of many of these goggles is much stronger and safer than other plastic.
- The 20-20-20 rule
- For those who spend their work day in front of a computer, giving your eyes a break can help reduce strain. This technique includes taking 20 seconds to look at an object 20 feet away from you once every 20 minutes.
- Adjusting your diet
- Incorporating healthy foods with beneficial nutrients is an easy step towards increased eye health. These nutrients include:
- Zinc and Vitamins A, C, and E – help prevent macular degeneration; can be found in vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, and citrus
- Omega-3 fatty acids – improve eye health; can be found in salmon and flaxseed
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – carotenoids of the retina; improve eyesight; can be found in broccoli, eggs, and zucchini
- Incorporating healthy foods with beneficial nutrients is an easy step towards increased eye health. These nutrients include:
- Hand hygiene
- The eyes are very sensitive to germs. Touching or rubbing your eyes with dirty hands could lead to infection or irritation, which may worsen your vision. Even putting in contact lenses with dirty hands can cause this.
- Contact lens hygiene
- As for the contact lenses, you must only insert disinfected ones into your eyes. It is also important to change your lenses as instructed. Using the same pair of lenses for too long can lead to the accumulation of germs.
- Do not smoke
- It is important to understand that when smoking is bad for your whole body, your eyes are a part of that. Smoking increases the risk of developing macular degeneration and cataracts.
- If you already smoke, stop as soon as possible. The longer you go without smoking once quitting, the better your body will be.
- Staying fit and healthy can improve overall health and decrease the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Those with the condition may develop diabetic retinopathy, in which vision is impacted, and the eye’s blood vessels are damaged.
- Managing eye conditions
- Whether they be in your family’s medical history or dealt with by you, letting your doctor know about relevant conditions is important. They can help you manage or prevent any that could impact your vision.
Consulting a Doctor
Before trying something new for your eyes or if you are unsure about continuing a current practice, always consult your primary care doctor Smithtown NY. Professionals in the field of eye health are the best resources for information. It is especially important to visit them if you experience any pain or irritation in your eye. Given the sensitive nature of the eyes, a medical professional is more reliable than any home remedy.
East Northport Medical Care’s Primary Care Doctor Smithtown NY For Eye Care
For the best eye care, always visit a medical professional. Our primary care doctor Smithtown NY, at our East Northport office is here to support your eye health and guide you along your path to improved vision. No matter your starting point, East Northport Medical Care will help you shift your lifestyle to reach healthier eyes. To book an appointment, contact our office today!